As part of the continuous improvement of the International Railway Industry Standard (IRIS), the Presiding Board of the European Rail Industry Association (UNIFE) has approved the development of IRIS into an International Standard.
Current timescales provided by IRIS indicate that a new ISO standard is expected in 2017 and all existing IRIS certificates will remain valid until 14 September 2018, in line with the current transition phase for newly revised Quality Management System standard ISO 9001:2015.
The IRIS evolution so far
- June 2015, UNIFE Presiding Board approved development as an ISO standard
- Q3/Q4 2015, new and revised requirements from ISO 9001:2015 were incorporated into the draft standard
- Q1 2016, the new ISO version of IRIS submitted to the International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
- 2017, a new ISO standard is expected
- 14 September 2018, transition deadline for all existing IRIS certificates
IRIS was developed to provide a globally relevant system for evaluation of organisations supplying the rail industry. Complementing ISO 9001:2015, IRIS was modelled upon similar sector specific standards in the aerospace and automotive industries.
Through our extensive range of training and assessment services, LRQA is helping organisations worldwide transition to the new and revised ISO standards. For more information about IRIS, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.lrqamea.com.