What is OHSAS 18001?
OHSAS 18001 has been developed in response to industry demand for a recognisable health and safety management system standard which can be externally assessed and certified.
Who can use OHSAS 18001?
OHSAS 18001, explained above, is applicable to any organisation – irrespective of their size or geographical location.
Why is OHSAS 18001 important for your organisation?
OHSAS 18001 demonstrates to your stakeholders that you're confident in your organisation's ability to meet health and safety legislation requirements. Not only does it highlight commitment to implementing, maintaining and improving health and safety policy, but it can also provide your organisation with a competitive edge.
OHSAS 18001 benefits with LRQA Business Assurance
Our unique methodology, LRQA Business Assurance, helps organisations manage their systems and risks to improve and protect their current and future performance. We provide certification and training to OHSAS 18001.
Our technical specialists were instrumental in the development of the specification and as part of the Lloyd’s Register Group Limited, which has been involved in the business of safety since 1760, LRQA is ideally placed to provide a range of assessment services to OHSAS 18001. And with the growing pressure for accountability in recent years, certification by LRQA is one visible way of letting your stakeholders know you mean business when it comes to health and safety.
- A structured approach to hazard identification and risk management which can contribute to the provision of a healthier and safer working environment.
- Minimising risk - the management of health and safety becoming more transparent and effective by translating the outputs of audits into action.
- Legislation – provides a means for identifying existing legislation and other relevant requirements helping you stay within the law.
- Stakeholder confidence - increased credibility from having an OHSAS management system independently assessed.
- Management system based – the ‘plan do check act’ basis of this standard is in common with other management system standards, meaning it is easier to develop an integrated system.